700g monkfish tail on the bone, trimmed
30ml olive oil
Piri Piri Sauce
3g garlic, crushed
2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
60ml lemon juice
60ml olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Spanish hot paprika
2g Maldon salt, to taste
1g black pepper
– Pre heat the oven to 180°C.
– Allow the fish to come up to room temperature for 20 minutes then season well with sea salt.
– Heat a large frying pan, add the olive oil, when it’s very hot add the monkfish and allow it to cook for 3 minutes on either side.
– Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for 15 minutes or until the core temperature is 56°C.
– To make the sauce; put all ingredients into a blender and run until smooth.
– Remove the monkfish from the oven and allow to rest for 2/3 minutes.
– Transfer the fish to a serving plate, prise the flesh away from either side of the backbone and spoon the sauce over then return to the oven for one minute to warm through.
– Enjoy with a fresh herb salad and some small potatoes roasted with garlic and rosemary.